Monday, June 13, 2011

Purple Paisley Palazzo Pants


This may be one of those purchases I will regret for the rest of my life.
This may be one of those purchases that never makes it out of my closet.
But...I just had to do it. Call it yearning for nostalgia, call it a 70's moment.
I just had to have these purple paisley palazzo pants. 


My daughter and I spent this rainy Sunday afternoon shopping.
River Island is always the first stop and I groan every time. 
It  is not a store for me...it says 'young girl' on every rack, 
something which I am not. 
I was just about to nip out of the store and tell her to text me 
when she was done....when I spotted the pants. Instant love.
I thought...what harm could it do just to try them on? I have time to kill.
I grabbed the purple blouse next to it and headed for the changing room.



Hair up, dangling earrings and I was ready 
for a martini to come gliding past the dressing room curtain. 
I texted my daughter, "come quick, tell my what you think".
I stepped outside of the curtain and before I could blink, 
'MOM! No! Where would you wear those pants?' she said. 
She looked genuinely worried that I would be recognised as her mother.
The answer was easy, I said, "Cocktails...on an island, a remote island.
Where nobody knows my name." 
She shook her head with that 'crazy woman' look in her eyes.
She agreed that the blouse worked and that was all.

She then carried on with her shopping and I carried on to the
checkout counter. In my bag went...one purple paisley palazzo pants 
and one purple blouse.  They may not make it to an exotic island 
but there is no harm in pretending around the house. 
I can hear the jingle of that cocktail shaker already.
"Shaken not stirred, please"
:))

images via River Island


11 comments:

  1. Great! I'd wear them with a simple (good quality) white t-shirt and a nice blazer. Instant up-to-date elegance without screaming "too young". I think you'll look great! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mademoiselle...you are so kind! I love your suggestion..and I may even be able to sway my daughter on that on too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanne, I love these pants, I would wear them myself to a summer cocktail party. I think they are elegant and sophisticated and definitely not too young. I cannot wait to hear about where and when you stepped out in them. I think you are going to look beautiful, perhaps on your trip to France.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, I love the way you think!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would wear them hands-down. I can hear Fleetwood Mac singing and a bit of Dean Martin in the background too. I think they'd be so great for a party but yet ideal for just going out for a cup of coffee with the girls. Now Jeanne, I want a pair!

    I'd like 2 olives please? xx Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Olives coming up Deb. Great thought on the cafe...I will keep that in mind for my après sun days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them - and Mademoiselle's suggestion sounds great.It would be a shame if they stayed in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! And to update the Fleetwood Mac and Dean Martin playlist I might add in a bit of Morcheeba. Those purple paisley wonders can span the decades (as can the martinis!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love them so much i went to buy them and they didnt have size 10 left ... go for it and wear them

    ReplyDelete
  10. I googled Palazzo pants because, just like you, I was shopping with my daughter and spotted a pair. I tried them on and asked my daughter's opinion and she actually liked them. I too am wondering when I will wear them - so if you find that perfect occasion, let me know! We'll go together wearing our 'fun' pant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a similar experience while shopping with my daughter. I saw, tried on and bought palazzo pants. When you find the perfect destination to wear yours, call me and I'll meet you there in mine:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...