Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The White Shirt According to Nina Garcia


I had a look thru Nina Garcia's book,

Nina is Marie Claire's Fashion Director 
and Project Runway's judge.


I liked her White Hot tips 
for dressing in a man's shirt.


* Keep it as close to a man's version as possible.
*No pearl buttons, no novelty buttons, no covered buttons.
*The best buttons look like (or are) mother-of-pearl,
and are sewn on a thick, double plated placket. 
They should be sewn on on with
cross-stitching. 
*Keep it basic. Go classic cotton or fine linen.

She also mentions great moment in men's white shirts:
* 1953 Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday.
*1956 Elizabeth Taylor in The Giant.
*1990: Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.
*1994 Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction.
*1998 Sharon Stone on the red carpet 
at the 70th Annual Academy Awards.







I think, whichever way you look at it, there is always room for a few
white shirts in a woman's wardrobe. Whichever one suits you best.


Vogue May 2007

Images 1& 2: Nina Garcia

Which white shirt do you like??
I think Elizabeth Taylor looks great, 
I only wish I had a waist like that too :)

Any white shirts lingering in your closet ?
I have a few in all shapes and sizes.
My favourite is an oversized 
one I purchased 20 years ago. 
Still going strong!


5 comments:

  1. I'm tryin' Jeanne...I'm tryin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a little modeling in my early twenties...I did some shots in a white men's shirt with seriously short denim cut offs. They were the best photos of the shoot!

    I really love Hepburn and adore everything she ever wore! Great tips from Nina!

    XO,
    Jane

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a good selection, I love Uma's. Jeanne I would love to read the book!

    Come and join in my Gorgeous Giveaway from Blydesign!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad that you've created your own web resource and have actually gived to the world your thoughts. I like your work and feel I can relate to what you've done. Most folks can't even imagine having such talent. I hope that you know how lucky you are. :) Good luck to you in ALL your aspirings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These white shirts for women all look fabulous! I've always wondered why most women prefer to wear colored shirts when wearing a simple white top definitely brings out the best in our complexion.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...